Thursday 15 August 2013

Do I need a Voicereel to be a Voiceover Artist?

It's simple. You cannot get started in the voiceover business without a professionally made voice reel.

You may be able to technically mix audio at home but are you the best judge of how your own voice sounds and what you are best at voicing? Almost definitely not.


Just to show off a bit, here is a lovely unsolicited testimonial from a client who came to BigFish Media to get his first voice reel made. We also gave him very useful advice:


Hi Ricky

Hope you're well? I've been meaning to email you for a while to let you know how I've got on.

I took your advice and put myself on the BBC voicebank. That gave me a lot of practice doing random scripts for all manner of local stations and bizarrely even Radio 1.

After a month of pinging the demo around externally, there were a few small production companies that gave me some work. I continue to get on average half a dozen or so gigs from these each month. Ironically all of which seem to be ex-BBC people. It's all lovely and laid-back, even though there's some bizarre 'confidential' paperwork from some of the clients!

Most of the scripts have been for on-hold material, TV adverts and audio-guides abroad. The money is good, although the casting sessions seem to be best paid, and I've been up to London quite a bit auditioning for all manner of bizarre new products from big companies. There also seems to be quite a demand for the ability to record and edit my own VO, which suits me perfectly as I'm editing in my sleep every day.

They seem to like the fact I'm unashamedly bland - so the public school education was worth it after all...!

I just wanted to say if it wasn't for your expertise with the demo and the experience to be able to learn my limits, I wouldn't have been able to do any of this - so thanks again.

Best wishes,
Richard, Southampton


As well as information about voiceovers and making a voice reel on our website, you may also find www.voiceovers.org.uk a useful read